Wednesday 30 March 2011

Day 10 - A song you fall asleep to


Going even further back in my childhood, I lived with my grandparents, Irish decendants but Irish to their core. They played the piano and the accordian and anytime we had friends and family round we owuld sing. I was raised on The Dubliners and The Clancy Brothers with Tommy Makem. I would fall asleep to the sound of their singing. It was a close call between this and the Black Velvet Band but as I searched for the sound of my childhood, this made me weep, so this is the one, for Frank and Mary McTominie, the heart and soul of my childhood, I owe you everything.

4 comments:

  1. They have an intresting sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still know all the words to this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reminds me of sitting in the bar on the old B&I boat with the singing heading over the Irish Sea to Dublin x

    ReplyDelete
  4. LFBS - I have a deep and abiding love for Ireland, I feel very Celtic, born a Scot but with Irish roots that mean so much to me. xx

    ReplyDelete